Adopting from Dolly’s Legacy means you are willing to make the commitment for life and give an animal a permanent home.
Please take a moment to review our ADOPTION GUIDELINES below. Our goal is to find SAFE, RESPONSIBLE, and LOVING families for our animals.
- Be a minimum of 21 years of age and have a valid ID with a current verifiable address.
- Provide veterinary reference and give permission for your veterinary clinic to speak with us regarding your pets' history & care, both for current pets as well as adopted pets from Dolly's Legacy Animal Rescue following adoption.
- Live in stable housing with a verifiable phone number.
- Ensure that all adults living in the household have consented to the adoption and are willing to participate in the care of the pet.
- Ensure that all children are mature enough to manage their behavior in the home and interact appropriately with the pet.
- If a renter, show copy of lease or other proof from landlord that the pet is allowed.
- Have the financial ability now, and in the foreseeable future, to properly care for the pet, including but not limited to routine and unexpected emergency veterinary care, quality food, necessary supplies, pet sitters, trainers, and be able to pay pet deposits/pet rent if living in rental housing.
- Agree to properly train the dog, and have the financial ability and willingness to engage the services of training professionals and/or behavioral specialists if warranted
- Provide proper and consistent veterinary care, food, water, exercise, training and kind treatment.
- Provide the pet a safe and pleasant environment with love and attention, and not to leave the pet alone for excessively long hours without another animal or human for companionship.
- Adopt the pet as a permanent lifetime family member, and be willing to make concessions in the future to accommodate and keep your pet as your lifestyle may change.
- Fill out the Adoption Application and participate in a phone and/or in-person interview
- Be willing to provide personal and veterinary references.
- Understand that the Adoption Application must be processed and approved (which on average takes 2-3 days – we are 100% volunteers)
- Be ready to adopt immediately (we cannot “hold” animals for anyone)
- Once your application is approved, the FINAL STEP in the adoption approval process is meeting the pet & with one of our adoption agents. Final approval is not given until this final step takes place.
- Sign a legally binding Adoption Contract and pay the Adoption Donation.
- Dolly’s Legacy Animal Rescue prefers to limit pet adoptions to within a 150 mile radius of our location in Lincoln, NE; however, we will consider adoptions to those outside that range. We do not ship animals, all adopters are required to come to our location to meet & adopt the pet.
If you are interested in adopting please fill out an application below or email DollysLegacy@aol.com: