***WE ARE EXPERIENCING AN INFLUX OF APPLICATIONS, REPONSE TIME IS DELAYED. PLEASE EXPECT UP TO TWO WEEKS TO RECEIVE A REPLY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE WHILE OUR VOLUNTEERS WORK HARD TO PROCESS APPLICATIONS & FIND THE VERY BEST HOME FOR OUR ADOPTABLE PETS !***
At Dolly's Legacy, we work hard to make sure our pets are never in need of rescue again.
The key to our success is the process we use for matching pets to people and people to pets. If you and your family are looking to bring a rescued pet into your home, we can help make that process a fun and life changing experience, for both humans and pets alike.
- We are a foster-home based rescue group and do not have a facility. All of our adoptable pets with their photos, descriptions, adoption fees & most information requested about them can be seen on our website which is updated daily. If they are still listed on our website, they have not yet been adopted.
- Since most of the pets we rescue have been orphaned or abandoned, we are not certain of their breed/mix and are not able to pinpoint how big they will be full-grown if they are still young. We do our best to determine the breed(s) they most closely resemble.
- The FIRST STEP is to have you complete our online adoption application. If you are interested in more than one pet, you do NOT need to submit more than one application, just select which pets you are interested in.
- All adoption appointments are scheduled after your application has been approved. Appointments are generally held on Saturdays. We need ALL family members or those living within your home, including pets (dogs not cats), to be present for an appointment.
- Preference is given to those with a verifiable veterinary reference, home ownership & fenced yard.
- Home ownership is verified through court records. If you are a renter, you must provide landlord contact information.
- Understand that the Adoption Application must be processed and approved. Please be patient, we are 100% volunteers but WILL get back to you.
- Expect an email from DollysLegacyAdoptions@gmail.com in response to your application (don't forget to check your spam!).
- We do not "hold" pets for a specific date. If you are going on vacation, or cannot take when the pet is available, please wait to apply until you are ready to adopt.
- We do out of state/area adoptions, but approved adopters are required to come to an adoption appointment, we do not ship pets.
- The final approval to adopt is after we have met applicants and feel they are the right match for that particular pet.
- We require that all current pets in the home be spayed/neutered. Neutering male dogs prevents them from developing testicular cancer, spaying female dogs prevents uterine and greatly reduces mammary cancer, as well as many other forms of cancer & illnesses, helps prevent many behavioral issues, and also prevents breeding when there are already so many homeless pets in need of a home. We promote responsible pet ownership and that starts with spaying & neutering. Rescues solely exist because there are is a pet overpopulation crisis where there are far more puppies & kittens being born than there are homes for them. Bringing even one more into the world means there is one less home for a pet in need.
Please take a moment to review our ADOPTION GUIDELINES below. Our goal is to find SAFE, RESPONSIBLE, and LOVING families for our animals.
- Be a minimum of 21 years of age (we will verify at time of adoption) and have a valid ID with a current verifiable address.
- Provide veterinary reference for current and/or past pets. All pets must be spayed or neutered. Please inform your vet clinic that you give permission to speak with us regarding your pets' history & care, both for current pets as well as adopted pets from Dolly's Legacy Animal Rescue following adoption.
- If you are a client of Companion Animal Care Clinic in Lincoln, NE, you will need to provide a copy of your vet records with your application as they do not provide veterinary reference even with permission from their clients, therefore we are unable to verify your pet ownership directly from the clinic.
- Ensure that all adults living in the household have consented to the adoption and are willing to participate in the care of the pet.
- Ensure that all children are mature enough to manage their behavior in the home and interact appropriately with the pet.
- Home ownership is verfied through court records, adopter's name must be on the deed. If a renter, you must provide landlord contact information..
- Have the financial ability now, and in the foreseeable future, to properly care for the pet, including but not limited to routine and unexpected emergency veterinary care, quality food, necessary supplies, pet sitters, trainers, and be able to pay pet deposits/pet rent if living in rental housing.
- Agree to properly train the pet, and have the financial ability and willingness to engage the services of training professionals and/or behavioral specialists if warranted
- Provide proper and consistent veterinary care, food, water, exercise, training and kind treatment.
- Provide the pet a safe and pleasant environment with love and attention, and not to leave the pet alone for excessively long hours without another animal or human for companionship.
- Adopt the pet as a permanent lifetime family member, and be willing to make concessions in the future to accommodate and keep your pet as your lifestyle may change.
- Understand that the Adoption Application must be processed and approved. Please be patient, we are 100% volunteers but WILL get back to you. Expect an email from DollysLegacyAdoptions@gmail.com
- Be ready to adopt immediately (we cannot “hold” animals for anyone). We do not ship animals, all adopters are required to come to our location to meet & adopt the pet.
- Once your application is approved, the FINAL STEP in the adoption approval process is meeting the pet & with one of our adoption agents. Final approval is not given until this final step takes place.
- Sign a legally binding Adoption Contract and pay the Adoption Donation.
- Preference is given to those with a verifiable veterinary reference, home ownership & fenced yard (being a home owner with fenced yard is generally not required, it depends on each pet). Home ownership is verified through court records.
- If you are interested in adopting please fill out an application below or email DollysLegacyAdoptions@gmail.com:
Good things are worth waiting for. Thank you for your interest in helping one of our sweet rescue pets.